Saturday, March 28, 2009

Video interview with Jence Rhoads

by Barca Blog - Visit VUcommodores.com to watch Charlie Mattos' pregame interview with guard Jence Rhoads as Vanderbilt prepares for today's matchup with Maryland in the third round of the NCAA Tournament.

Rhoads has had a successful sophomore campaign for the Commodores, increasing her scoring average from 3.8 to 6.1. Rhoads ranks third in the NCAA in assist to turnover ratio at 2.5:1. It's not surprising that the 5'11 guard leads VU with 129 assists, but she also stands second in blocks with 12. In her last outing against Kansas State on Monday, she tied a season-high with seven rebounds.

One side note.. did you know Jence was a standout soccer player at Slippery Rock High School and scored more than 100 goals in her four-year career? So how did her soccer success translate over to the hardwood?

"Soccer helped me with my footwork and endurance. I played soccer my whole life and it was definitely to my advantage. I kind of miss it a little bit but basketball is my first love."

I think we would all agree that we're glad she decided to play hoops instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment