Friday, September 11, 2009

What a rush

by Barca Blog - Since I wasn't a collegiate athlete (tough to believe, right?), I've always wondered what it's like to go into these massive stadiums on the road where all odds were stacked against you.

Junior defensive tackle Adam Smotherman tried to explain it to me yesterday during his Ask A Dore interview.

“My family asks me that all the time," Smotherman said. "Just think of the biggest rush you’ve ever had in your life and that’s every second that you’re on the field. It’s a great feeling with the entire crowd screaming.

"I’ve heard that LSU is the only stadium to register on the Richter Scale, so I’m going to be excited to go down there."

It's comments like these that get me excited about making my first trip to LSU. You see, I've been to the 11 other SEC venues and just need Tiger Stadium to finish my list. I'm looking forward to seeing if Saturday nights in Baton Rouge live up to the hype.

And yes, legend has it that after LSU scored the winning touchdown against Auburn in 1988, the eruption of the crowd was so loud that it was detected by a seismograph in LSU’s Howe-Russell Geoscience Complex. The game is now referred to as The Earthquake Game.

That's college football folks.

I'll leave you with the video of the day... Phil Collins singing "Against All Odds" in front of a jam-packed Wembley Stadium during Live Aid in 1985.

No comments:

Post a Comment