Thursday, September 17, 2009

Buggs to get first NFL start

by Barca Blog - Buffalo middle linebacker Marcus Buggs will get his first career start against Tampa Bay this Sunday.

The second-year pro will replace Paul Posluszny, who will be out six weeks after suffering a broken arm in the Bills' 25-24 loss at New England Monday.

"I'm ready for the opportunity," Buggs told the Buffalo News. "I'm totally confident in myself that I'll be able to handle it."

Buggs becomes the second former Commodore to move into a starting role this week. Hunter Hillenmeyer, a seven-year veteran with 56 career starts, will get the call at middle linebacker for Chicago after Brian Urlacher had season-ending wrist surgery.

"My job is not to go try to be Brian Urlacher," Hillenmeyer said to the Chicago Tribune, referring to the six-time Pro Bowler and defensive captain. "My job is to go play the best that I can. It's not my burden. It's the whole defense's burden when you lose a guy like him."

With Buggs and Hillenmeyer moving up the depth chart, the list of former Commodores currently starting in the NFL increases to five with four starting for the Bears (Jay Cutler, Chris Williams, Earl Bennett and Hillenmeyer).

(Photo courtesy of Getty Images)

No comments:

Post a Comment