Thursday, April 30, 2009

Numbers game

by Barca Blog - According to ChicagoBears.com, Earl Bennett will go with a different look for his sophomore campaign in the NFL. The former Commodore wideout will switch from N0. 85 to No. 80 for the upcoming season.

“I just wanted to change my number," Bennett told Larry Mayer. "I feel like ‘80’ fits me a little bit better. I think it’s in my character. I didn’t really think ‘85’ really fit it.

“Number 80 has so much tradition behind it with Jerry Rice and Cris Carter and those guys, and hopefully I can become one of those guys and be a legend like they were.”

Bennett initially wanted his college number which would have set up a No. 6 to No. 10 connection one more time after the Bears acquired Jay Cutler in an offseason trade. Unfortunately, the NFL prohibits receivers who have a number in the 80s from switching to a number from 10 through 19... so No. 80 will have to do.

Also, cornerback D.J. Moore has been assigned No. 30, but it could change before the season.

Read the full article here. (Photo by Bill Smith)

No comments:

Post a Comment