Saturday, May 8, 2010

Hill goes the distance

by Barca Blog (Photo by Jimmy Jones)

Taylor Hill tossed the first complete game of his career to help Vanderbilt even the series with a 6-2 victory over LSU Saturday night in Baton Rouge.

The 10,909 fans at Alex Box never had a chance to get into the game as the junior right-hander neutralized the Tigers' offense with a mixture of pitches down in the zone. He surrendered only seven hits while striking out eight and walking one.

Hill's gem was also significant because it gave the Commodore bullpen a much needed rest after four relievers combined to throw 6 2/3 innings in Friday's loss.

Hill (5-3) has been in top form over the last month. The Old Hickory, Tenn., native hasn't allowed more than two runs in four of his last five starts and has gone 6+ innings in each of those appearances.

Hill talked about his performance with Joe Fisher on the WNSR postgame show:

On getting his second straight win:
"It's definitely something I'm proud of. Our defense is playing unbelievably well and we're hitting the ball right now. I can't really ask for much more. They hit some balls hard and we caught them. Drew Fann did a great job behind the plate tonight, too."

On bouncing back from Friday night's loss
"Coach Corbin said it best: it was just one of those games, and we haven't had one of those games in a long time. I didn't realize it, but he said we had 13 two-out runs and that was unbelievable. We just kind of built off that. Obviously, our pitching wasn't that bad. It was just one of those nights. We ended up being on the losing side by one run, which isn't fun, but I think we'll learn from it and be fine."

On the connection with catcher Drew Fann:
"I think we're just on the same page. We had an advantage because he caught me my senior summer before college. He knows what I throw best and in what situations. Not to say that Gio doesn't, but I think me and Drew have something going and they don't want to switch it up. I think it's good. It also helps Gio out because he doesn't have to catch all three games."

On wanting to get the shutout with a six-run lead in the ninth:
"I talked to D.J. after the game and he said he could tell I was trying to throw hard to get the shutout. I knew I was because I wanted to get it. I think the six runs played a difference. If we're up by one or two, I'm probably a little more calm and just trying to hit my spots with more offspeed pitches. In the ninth, I was just try to throw fastballs and get it in there and get out."

On it being a big win:
"It was good for our team to see we can obviously hit, and then we're going to pitch and play defense, too. We just put it all together which was what we needed."

VUcommodores.com's Travis Young also caught up with Hill after the game. Click Here to watch the interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment