Monday, January 25, 2010

Auburn extras

by Barca Blog

Full Recap: Vanderbilt 82, Auburn 74

Speechless:
After the Commodores were outworked and outhustled by the undersized Tigers in the first half Saturday, head coach Kevin Stallings did something unusual. Instead of chewing his team out in the locker room, he stayed silent while his assistant coaches handled the scolding.

"I told them that I wasn't going to get mad," Stallings said." It makes me feel too bad when I get mad, and I wasn't going to do it."

Stallings did get one point across without using his voice.

"(He) wrote the rebounding margin on the board," Brad Tinsley said. "We were outrebounded by 12. Our big guys just kind of took that personally and they really got after it in the second half."

Vanderbilt, who trailed by as many as 16 points in the first half, responded by outscoring (50-31) and outrebounding (18-10) Auburn in the final 20 minutes.

It just doesn't matter: 
Stallings was asked after the game if he felt disrespected or bothered that the Commodores have been left out of the Top 25 during their nine-game winning streak.

"It doesn't matter to me," Stallings said. "I think we have a good team. I know the rubber is getting ready to meet the road. We'll find out how good here very shortly.

"It's nice recognition for the players. Do we deserve it? Probably. If you're 4-0 in this league, and 15-3, then you probably deserve to be ranked. I'm not going to complain about it because I know what's coming."

Join the club: With 14 points against Auburn, senior guard Jermaine Beal became the 40th player in school history to reach 1,000 points in his career.

Schulz's stat of the game: Vanderbilt is now 5-2 this season when trailing at the half. The Commodores have trailed at the half in three of its last four games, including its last two at home.

Quotable: "I went back and checked this, and since I've been here, the number of times we've either played Tennessee or Kentucky and/or Florida, two of those three back-to-back, and this is my 11th year, I want to say is 16 times. It almost seems intentional. I know that there's nobody down there that has it in for us.  We don't cause any problems around here. But that's a lot, wouldn't you think?" -- Stallings on if he knew who his enemy was in the league office after getting Tennessee and Kentucky on the road this week.

Photo by Steve Green

1 comment:

  1. Schulz's stat of the game adds a nice new flavor to the blog. Well done Ryan. Go 'Dores and Beat the Vols

    ReplyDelete