Friday, November 20, 2009

Jenkins talks about Commodore debut

By Barca Blog – Freshman guard John Jenkins made his much anticipated Commodore debut on Monday against Lipscomb with seven points, two rebounds and an assist in 16 minutes of action.

The Gallatin, Tenn., native discussed his transition college with local media on Wednesday prior to Vanderbilt’s road trip to California and Hawaii.

On his first game as a Commodore:

“It was very different from high school. I figured that out really quickly between the atmosphere and the speed of the game. I thought it went pretty well.

“I was a little nervous but just being a hometown kid and having the crowd behind me helped me hit my first few shots.”

On his role as a freshman compared to high school:

“I’m not called upon to score as many points as I did in high school. I'm just trying to play the game and do whatever the team needs me to do, I’ll do whether it’s scoring, rebounding, or taking charges. I’ll do all the dirty work. Whatever it takes to win.

“I’ve never been a part of a team that can go 11 deep. Practice is definitely tough and you have to bring it every day. You'll see me out here shooting before practice going hard just to make sure I'm ready for practice. It’s definitely no joke out here.

“I’ve waited for this time for a long time. I’ve put in the hard work and am just happy it’s finally here.”

On going on his first road trip:

“I feel lucky to be going, but I hate flying. I have to get used to that. I'm very blessed to be a part of the Hawaii trip. I didn’t get to go on the Australia trip, so this makes up for it.

“I’ve never flown this far but I’ll be all right. I’m not going to be a baby about it, but I just got to get through it somehow.”

CLICK HERE to listen to the entire press conference

No comments:

Post a Comment