Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Washing away the past

by Barca Blog - Alex Washington's first few years at Vanderbilt haven't turned out the way he expected them to, but that doesn't mean the senior wideout can't write a new chapter to his career in his fifth and final season.

The Stone Mountain, Ga., native came into the program with high expectations, but his impact on the gridiron has been minimal due to injury. He enters the season with 13 career receptions, as well as contributing on kickoff and punt returns.

"I feel like since I've been here, I've done a few things on the field, but haven't really stepped into a position of somebody you can count on to make a play," Washington admitted. "I really want to do that before I leave."

Washington will be expected to step up and provide leadership for a young, inexperienced receiving corps. In 2008, he was hampered by a serious knee injury which limited him to one catch in seven games. He says he's 100 percent healthy now and ready to prove he can be a weapon on offense.

"I want to show people that I can play," Washington added. "I also want to be a leader for the younger receivers. I just want to make plays, come off this ACL strong, and show people that I can do some good things for the Commodores."

Read our Ask A Dore Q&A with Alex Washington here.

No comments:

Post a Comment