Monday, August 24, 2009

2008 Rewind: Marve saves the day

by Barca Blog - Of all the great moments in 2008, Chris Marve's goal-line strip at Ole Miss might have been the biggest play of the regular season.

With Vanderbilt clinging onto a 20-17 lead late in the fourth quarter, the Rebels drove 80 yards in five plays highlighted by Dexter McCluster's 56 yard reception to the Commodores' 7-yard line. On the very next play, McCluster took a direct snap up the middle for what looked to be the go-ahead score... but Marve saved the day by forcing McCluster to fumble into the end zone.

"I knew he had a chance of crossing the goal line, so I just went for the strip," Marve recalled. "God-willing, it came out."

I remember standing in the opposite end zone during that drive with that uneasy feeling in my stomach, not knowing if the 'Dores would extend their record to 4-0. Marve's heroics cemented the fact that it was going to be a special season.

"I felt that a play needed to be made," Marve added. "I saw the opportunity, so I went for it."

I think we're all happy he did.

The Commodores would tack on a field goal to win the game, 23-17. Watch the clip below:

No comments:

Post a Comment