The Commodores tipped off conference play with an 85-76 road win against Alabama Thursday night. I have listed below interesting statistics, in my opinion, that emerged from that contest.
- The ‘Dores moved to 18-9 (5-2 under Melanie Balcomb) in conference openers with last night’s victory. Vanderbilt kicked off last season with a win against an SEC West foe, beating Mississippi State 72-50 in Memorial Gym. VU also opened the 2006-07 SEC campaign with a 98-61 home win over the West’s Arkansas.
- The Commodores last inaugurated their conference schedule with a road win against the West in the 1999-00 season – a 60-38 decision against Mississippi. Balcomb’s squad moves to 4-3 on the road this season.
- Six ‘Dores scored in double digits against Alabama – Chisholm (11), Marsh (13), Rhoads (12), Risper (17), Tuomi (12) and Wirth (15) – the first time a VU squad has accomplished this since Nov. 20, 2006 against TAMCC.
- Wirth's double-double effort last night, 15 points and 10 rebounds, boosted her into the No. 18 position on VU's all-time scoring list with 1,251. The senior wing player, who entered last night’s affair averaging 14.8 points and 5.2 rebounds per game, is 44 points behind Na'Sheema Hillmon (1995-98) for No. 17 all-time.
- Rhoads posted a career-high 12 points against Bama. The sophomore guard’s previous high was 11 points against UT-Martin this season – her only other double-digit effort this season. She also made 6-of-6 free throws – a career high in both makes and attempts.
- Risper netted a season-high 17 points last night. The senior guard averaged 6.7 per contest and has totaled double-digit scoring marks in one other game this season – 14 against Cal State-Fullerton. (Risper’s career high (20) came against Ole Miss last season)
- Chisholm, who scored 11, has tallied 117 points in only 16 games this season, shattering her 2007-08 effort of 34 points in 19 contests. The sophomore forward has amassed double-digit efforts in five contests this year, averaging 7.1 points per game before last night.
- Six different VU players have led the team in single game scoring this season: Wirth (six times); Tuomi (five times); Marsh (twice); Mooney (twice), Gibbs (once); and now Risper.
- Alabama entered last night’s tilt holding opponents to 59.3 points per game and 33.7 percent field goal shooting. The Commodores smashed both of those stats with 85 points on 55.4 percent shooting.
- Though Balcomb’s players were outrebounded 38-35, they still held the Crimson Tide below their season average of 46.7 boards per contest with a plus-6.6 rebounding advantage (VU matched its season average of 35.6 boards per game).
- Vanderbilt ranked 10th in the country in field goal percentage at 46.5 percent entering last night’s contest, and eclipsed that mark with 55.4 percent shooting against Alabama.
- The Commodores possessed the No. 34 position in the country in assists per game (16) before the Bama game, which they also eclipsed with 18 last night.
- Balcomb’s unit, 37th in the country in turnovers with 15.7 per contest entering last night’s matchup, gave it up 15 times.
RELATED LINKS: Game Recap | Women's Hoop Home Page