Monday, January 5, 2009

Graham returns to the hardwood

It didn’t take long for Jamie Graham to put his focus back on the hardwood.

Less than a week after helping the football team to its first bowl win since 1955, the sophomore guard participated in basketball practice for the first time this season on Monday afternoon.

“I was happy that we won the bowl game, but my mind has also been on basketball,” said Graham, who spent the last few days relaxing with family in Nashville. “I’ve been watching a lot of basketball lately and shot some the other day just to do something. I’m feeling good right now.”

With the Commodores preparing for its SEC opener at Kentucky Saturday, the sport transition won’t be easy. Graham made the switch last year a month earlier (Dec. 4, 2007) and was able to contribute in four games before conference play.

“It’s a lot harder (than last year) because I’m coming in right during SEC time. It’s when the game really starts getting tough. I’m going to have to make a big adjustment coming in from football.”

Graham will also have the grueling task of receiving little rest between sports.

“I’m sore, but that’s why I came out here this week. I have to get my body back in shape for basketball and hopefully I’ll work all the soreness out.”

A crowd favorite off the bench, Graham played in 15 games last year, averaging 4.3 minutes and 1.5 points per game. He had career-highs in minutes (10) and points (6) in the Commodores’ NCAA loss to Siena.

While his return date to the lineup is still in question, one thing is for sure. Graham will be looking forward to moving back indoors.

“It started getting a little too cold outside so it’s time for basketball.”

1 comment:

  1. Jamie best 2 luck 2 u during B-ball season cant wait 2 see u back in action. Also good job during football season also Im very happy 2 be able 2 brag 2 Alabama and Auburn fans about going 2 a bowl game and winning a bowl game.
    GOD Bless remember Phill 4:13

    ReplyDelete