Saturday, December 20, 2008

Back in business

Freshman Lance Goulbourne provided an early spark on both sides of the floor to help Vanderbilt roll past Tennessee Tech, 83-63, Saturday evening at Memorial Gym.

In the first half, Goulbourne scored seven points in the span of four minutes to help the Commodores build an early 17-9 lead. The 6'8 guard/forward also pulled down five of his team-high seven rebounds in the opening 20 minutes.

"Lance's seven rebounds are significant," said head coach Kevin Stallings. "For a guy to come in for 15 minutes and get seven rebounds is a good night's work. As he continues to condition, he'll continue to play well and play better."

Goulbourne missed eight games earlier in the year due to mononucleosis before returning to action last Tuesday against South Florida. Even though he's still not fully recovered, tonight's extended performance was another step in the right direction.

"I'm working out almost every day," Goulbourne said, "trying to get my stamina and conditioning back to where I was before I got sick.

"It's going to be a long process, and I'm definitely not 100%, but I think I'm getting better and stronger every day.

The Commodores (8-3) will next host Furman on Monday at 8 p.m. CT. Tickets are still available for $15 and are located in the student section (G-K on the lower level sideline).

No comments:

Post a Comment