Friday, March 12, 2010

SEC Tournament: Kentucky gets to semifinals

by Barca Blog

Recap: [E1] Kentucky 73, [W4] Alabama 67
AP - John Wall had 23 points, including seven straight in the second half to give the Wildcats the lead for good, and No. 2 Kentucky overcame an 11-point deficit Friday in beating Alabama 73-67 in the SEC Tournament quarterfinals. More

Quotables
Kentucky's John Wall on his performance in the 2nd half:
"Basically Coach told me make a couple of plays. They told me the whole game to push it in transition, but I wasn't getting there. I was trying to find my teammates. Second half, I found the gaps and got into the lane. He let me run the pick and roll to the five man and let me make the play, and I was getting to the basket."

Kentucky coach John Calipari on getting out-rebounded:

"Last five games we've gotten out-rebounded. And, again, what I think has happened in all five of those games, you think about it, the other teams outworked us. I'm trying to convince this young team of 19-year-olds that either you want it more than they do or they want it more than you do. And whoever's in that mode in this tournament, or the next one, is going to win."

Alabama coach Anthony Grant on the loss:

"I thought our guys played extremely aggressive, played tough. But certain nights the shots aren't going to fall for you. Unfortunately for us, tonight we left some things out there on the offensive end that may have been able to make a difference."

Notes
*Alabama won the rebounding margin, 45-33.

*Kentucky scored 46 points in the paint, while Alabama managed only 26 points in the lane.

*Patrick Patterson added 20 points including 8-of-8 from the free throw line.

*Kentucky was held to 1-for-13 from behind the arc.

Next Up
Kentucky will meet the winner between West No. 2 seed Ole Miss and East No. 3 seed Tennessee in the semifinals Saturday at noon CT on ABC. For complete coverage of the tournament, go to SECsports.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment