Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Around the Web - Wednesday, June 24

  • Women's basketball signee Stephanie Holzer is ready for college basketball. The McDonald's All-American had a decorated career at Cardinal O'Hara, but finished on a sour note after she broke her ankle in the Lions' state title game loss to Mount Lebanon in March. Holzer told the Daily Times she was cleared by doctors last week to return to the hardwood.

    “The bone in my ankle is healed and I can put pressure on it. I can start running and jumping. I’m so happy to be getting back. I know I’ve got a long way to go, but I plan to be ready this fall when practice starts.”

  • Men's golfer Jon Curran is playing well in his first tournament as a professional at the 100th Massachusetts Open. The former Commodore is in 11th place at 1-under par going into Wednesday's final round. He will try to earn his PGA Tour card in the fall.

  • Pedro Alvarez, who was just promoted to Double-A Altoona, revealed to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that making the jump to a higher level of baseball is never easy.

    "It's funny, when you're in high school, you think you have an idea, then you get to college and realize you have no idea. It's the same thing with college. You think you have things figured out, then you get to the pros and realize there's so much more to learn."

    Alvarez was hitless in his debut with the Curve last night, going 0-for-4 with three strikeouts.

  • David Price had a tough outing last night against Philadelphia. The former 'Dore was handed his second straight loss, surrendering 10 runs, five earned, in 4.1 innings of work.

    "I put that one on me," Price said. "They're a good-hitting team, and that's what they do when you make an average pitch. They hit it to the wall or they hit it out.

    "That's the best I've felt all year. ... I thought my stuff was the best, and I got hit around. I was around the zone. It's a tough way to go out, putting up six in the first. That's ridiculous."

  • Finally, Chris Low had some nice things to say about football head coach Bobby Johnson in his ESPN blog yesterday.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment